Friday, July 23, 2010

Too Bad the Rest of You Looks Like Hell













These are the words (in my head) that complete the end of the sentence that begins, "you have such a pretty face...," which many of us with mega pounds to lose have heard through the years.

I guess people really think saying we have pretty faces is a compliment, but would they isolate only the faces of thin girls as pretty? No -- they are just pretty.

It's been years since I've heard this compliment (?!) myself now that I'm approaching the half-century mark, however, the memories came flooding back due to a Facebook post recently.

My mother posted a photo of my 21-year-old daughter who happens to have inherited her father's genes and is not heavy. My mother's friend commented that, "she was beautiful." My mother's reply was, "she looks just like her mother." Her friend then had to add, "yes, Dee has a very pretty face." Ugh -- I hated to not only hear it again, but see it in print for others to view as well.

Now I'm not a spiteful person, but if I were, I might say to these people, "you have such a thin and shapely body -- too bad your face looks like hell."

No comments:

Post a Comment